WHAT IS ABORTION?
An abortion is the termination or ending of a pregnancy. It’s most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy. ¹
There are three categories for defining an abortion:
- Induced Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy before it is possible for the fetus to survive outside of the uterus. ²
- Therapeutic Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy in order to safeguard the life and health of the mother. ³
- Spontaneous Abortion, commonly called miscarriage, is a naturally-occurring loss of a pregnancy before 20 weeks. After 20 weeks, loss of a pregnancy is considered preterm delivery. ⁴
The word abortion is most often used when talking about an induced abortion.
Are you thinking about having an abortion, or would you like more information about your abortion options? Schedule an appointment for a free pre-abortion evaluation at a My Future Approved clinic. We are here to empower you in your freedom of choice.
- Abortion Medical Definition | Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/abortion ↩
- Induced Abortion – definition of induced abortion by Medical dictionary. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/induced+abortion ↩
- Therapeutic Abortion Medical Definition | Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/therapeutic%20abortion ↩
- spontaneous abortion – definition of spontaneous abortion by Medical dictionary. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/spontaneous+abortion ↩