THE ABORTION PILL
The abortion pill is also known as RU-486 or medical abortion
When can I take it?: within the first 10 weeks after conception
How much does the abortion pill cost in Illinois: $450-$700
How does it work?
The abortion pill is really two pills that cause a pregnancy to end when taken. These two medications are called mifepristone and misoprostol. They are approved by the FDA for use within 70 days from the first day of a woman’s last period.
The FDA recommends a three-visit process with your provider for taking the abortion pill:
- The first pill is taken during the first office visit. This pill blocks progesterone (a hormone your body produces during pregnancy) from continuing to support the pregnancy.
2. The second pill is taken during the second office visit 36-48 hours later. The patient then returns home. The second pill causes cramping and bleeding, which empties the uterus. This may occur within a few hours or up to two weeks after taking the second pill.
3. A physical exam is given two weeks later to ensure that the abortion is complete and there are no immediate complications. If the abortion pill fails to induce an abortion, a surgical abortion may be recommended.
When used properly, mifepristone and misoprostol are 95-97% effective within two weeks. 2
Are you thinking about having an abortion, or would you like more information about your abortion options? Schedule an appointment for a free pre-abortion evaluation at a My Future Approved clinic. We are here to empower you in your freedom of choice.
- Mifeprex (mifepristone) Information. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm111323.htm ↩
2. The Abortion Pill: Medical Abortion with Mifepristone and Misoprostol. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.fwhc.org/abortion/medical-ab.htm ↩